Frequently Asked Questions Locksmith in Chelmsford
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much will a Locksmith cost? Price depends on the job in hand. Please find a list of labour rates and parts on my prices page. I can also quote for most standard jobs over the phone and confirm again once i arrive. There is no obligation or pressure to proceed. As an independent locksmith I'm under no pressure to earn extra commission. I will not carry out unnecessary work or replace good locks. I will in no way pressure customers. This way of trading is something you may see from larger organizations or rogue traders.
- Will i have to pay a call out charge? I never charge any upfront charge even for an emergency. if you are locked out I will provide a quote to gain entry over the phone. Once i arrive I will explain the whole procedure and confirm the fee before i go any further.
- How do i pay? I accept cash or all major cards through my encrypted chip and pin terminal. I do not charge any extra for card payments. If you are a landlord or not present to make payment in person I can take card payment over the phone.
- Will i get a receipt/invoice? You will receive a written invoice upon job completion. This will have full details of work carried out and parts used.
- Do you charge VAT? We charge the standard rate of VAT (20%).
- Will i get a guarantee? All new parts used come with a standard 12 months guarantee.
- Will i need a new lock if I've locked myself out of my house? When trying to gain entry to any property i will always use non destructive methods first. Non destructive means entry without damage to door or lock. Have you just walked out of your property and left the key inside? By using specialist tools and with years of practice I'm able to open 99% of doors without damage. Providing you have the key, the lock will be operational. Cylinder locks can be picked, bypassed and manipulated without damage in most cases. Higher security deadlocks need different methods to open. I would explain this on site after lock identification. If you have lost one of your keys its always advisable to change the lock and have a new set of keys for obvious security reasons.
- Will you have the parts required on the van? As a former warrant locksmith I've built up a wide range of stock. I hold locks, cylinders and mechanisms to cover all eventualities. In the rare case of a lock not in stock i have many temporary repair locks to secure your door while parts are on order. Most parts are next day delivery.
- Will i get charged for a second visit if parts need ordering? No extra will charged. Only my agreed fee on the first visit to complete the job is payable. you would usually pay nothing until the job is complete but I may request a deposit when ordering parts.
- How long will i have to wait for a locksmith? For an emergency lock out call i aim to attend within 1 hour. I will always make the elderly and customers with young children my priority. An average response of 30 minutes is usually achieved. This is subject to time of day, traffic and road conditions. I have responded to jobs in only a few minutes before if local to where I'm working. I will never make false promises. I would rather recommend another locksmith if i was unable to attend within 1 hour.
- Where are we based? Locks4less Locksmiths Limited do not have business premises that customers can visit, Our mobile locksmiths our dispatched from Chelmsford.